Monday, May 4, 2009

8 Different Ways

The Cloud of Unknowing, "O God, our great companion, lead us ever more deeply into the mystery of your life and ours, that we may be faithful interpreters of Life to each other, through our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen."
We decided a while back to have what’s known as a pulpit exchange today. Our goal was simple-we wanted to do such a terrible job at the church we visited that you would be dying to get your rector back or, as I told George, “they will appreciate you a lot more after I give them my 45 minute sermon.”
Which really does connect with the gospel reading for today, but I’ll get to that in a second.
Every year on the Sunday 3 weeks after Easter, Easter 4, we stop hearing the stories about the resurrection, and instead, we hear a reading from the 10th chapter of the Gospel of John. Throughout this chapter Jesus explains that he is the Good Shepherd. Last year you heard verses 1-10. This year verses 11-18, and next year verses 22-30. Every year, on this Sunday. And so it has become known as ___________Good Shepherd Sunday.
family that keeps coming back
[Over the years I have learned way too much about sheep and shepherds. For example, sheep do not swim. Their coats, wool, absorb water. The weight of a waterlogged coat will cause them to drown, consequently, sheep will not drink from running water. They prefer “still” or “restful” water so they can maneuver for a drink much more safely than from a stream or river.
Shepherds carried certain implements with them, and two of them, a rod and a staff, are referred to in today’s Psalm. The rod was much like what we call a shepherd’s crook, though it could also be simply a long, straight pole. Depending on its shape it was used to grab sheep and pull them back into the flock or to herd them in the right direction. The staff would usually hang from the shepherd’s belt. It was a short wooden club which usually had a lump of wood at the end and could be imbedded with nails. The shepherd used this to defend himself and the flock against predators, primarily wolves, but also against thieves. The Psalm uses this saying, “I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage.”
But despite how interesting it is to talk about sheep and shepherds,] the verses that really draw me today are these: “I know my own and my own know me….., 16I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice.
In the Navajo religion, when a child comes of age they are given a secret name, only their family knows their name and they only use this sacred secret name at special times, times of great intimacy, and when only they can hear each other.

Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where he had the girlfriend who always just said, “it’s me” when she called him ? She assumed Jerry knew who “it’s me” was, and the whole show was about how long you should know someone before it was ok to say, “it’s me” as the only identifier.

I have heard that in the Holy Land that many different shepherds brought their sheep to water them all together, and visitors watching them are amazed when the shepherds are ready to leave, they will call the sheep and every sheep knew his own shepherd's voice and followed him as he walked away.

Jesus is teaching the people who he is and why he’s there. And he tells them that he is so committed to them, that God is so dedicated to them, that they will know his voice, and will know his love.
Jesus says, I know my own and my own know me….., and even those who don’t know Jesus, will listen to that voice.
It’s one thing to feel that we hear God calling us, But it’s something else when we have to take this message, this teaching, out.
Kristine Miller, whom you know, is currently working with our parish as she did with yours last year. One of the things that we’re trying to improve upon is our communication. Kristine told us that most of the time we have to say something 8 different ways before it would be heard by everyone. 8. Different. Ways.
I think back to all the times that I have been in an evangelism or newcomer meeting, and someone said, “well, we sent them the packet for newcomers” or “we mailed them the newsletter” or “well, we called and invited them to the potluck.” 8 different ways. How many times did God speak to me about his love, before I finally heard him? How many times did he have to say my sacred name before I actually was aware that he was talking to me? How many times have people said to me that I am forgiven, or loved before it finally dawned on me that I was?
This isn’t the 70 times 7 of forgiveness-this is just being called by God to come to him, this is having people reach out to me and invite me in?
We have a guy in our parish, (also named George). Years ago he went to a De=2 0Colores, weekend spiritual retreat. George was in his 70s when he went. Has spent his whole life in the Episcopal church, from his early teens. He came back from the weekend and said, “John, I heard it-Jesus died-FOR ME.” I said, “yes, George, he did.” And he said, “no, you don’t understand, he died FOR ME.” And I said, Yes, George, I’ve preached that a couple hundred times. TO YOU. He said, “well, this is the first time I heard it.” And it changed his life.
We had a young woman who grew up in this church, Anna, she was here long before I came and has now moved away but stayed in touch. One Sunday she was back visiting, she was a married young woman now, in her mid 20s, and she came up after the service and said, “I don’t know how to say this, because I don’t want to hurt your -feelings-but for years I came to church and I never listened to the sermons-but this morning I did-for the first time-and you know what-it wasn’t bad!”

Hearing Jesus tell us he is The Good Shepherd, probably won’t shake you up, or change your life. Hearing Jesus say that he would lay down his life for you, probably won’t surprise you or revolutionize your way of thinking. But maybe, just maybe, we can hear these words, 16I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice.
And realize that we have a mission, an assignment. We are supposed to be Jesus’ voice. We are asked to learn the sacred name of others, and call them each by name. We have a job to do-to keep taking the message of the good shepherd out to people who have not heard their name called by God, who have not felt a connection, a relationship. In other words, we are to find a way to let people know that Jesus didn’t come for just me, or just you, but for them too. It is not easy. In fact, it may be that this is a very hard time for us to find out the voice people will respond to. It may be that we have to use 8 different ways to reach out to folks and let them know that God is hunting for them, seeking them, trying to bring them back to him. But when I think about how many times God must have tried to capture my heart, 8 doesn’t seem that many. How many times did people try to call me, name me, tell me that it was God calling, and I couldn’t and wouldn’t, listen? Using a lot of different ways and means to tell people that there is a shepherd who wants to hold them and protect them, and that they can connect with him here-seems worth it. I think God has a voice, and a sacred name for each of us. I think God had to reach each out to of us, so many times before we could hear his voice. I think this gospel is a wake up call, to us, to me, that the call of God has to go out a hundred times in a thousand ways, before a lot of folks can hear it-it did for me. And I am thankful that people didn’t stop trying, and God didn’t stop calling. Sometimes we have to live a whole life before we realize that our names were being spoken the whole time.
(On the Prairie Home Companion Garrison Keillor did a short shtick on the rapture when the end of time happens and it turned out that the only people who were taken up into heaven were the Unitarians because they didn’t want salvation, they just wanted closure.)
11“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the she ep. 12The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. 14I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my=2 0own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.”
As Tevya says, "Because of our traditions, we know who we are, and what God expects us to do."

No comments: